Monday 22 February 2016

Today, I want to express how hard it is to find time to do all of the things I need to do. First of all, I need to talk about the fact that as teachers, we do have lives and families and need to be with them. Sometimes, we are lucky and they understand the rhythm of the life of a teacher. Sometimes they don't.

I have had to explain to people that we don't work a straight 9 to 5 job. Instead, it is more like 7 to 4, and then a break before putting in another hour or more after supper. Yes, we get the summers "off", but that doesn't alter the facts of our time demands. Right now, I am getting report card comments and marks ready. For teacher's, this is more pressure than a company month end report. End of year report cards can be as tough as corporate year end, tax time, and a root canal all at the same point. Never mind if the teacher has said root canal in late June...

Besides all of what I do as a classroom teacher, I can't stay static. I need professional development. Real professional development, not the time I often spend keeping a plastic chair warm in our school library while somebody drones on about something that may not really even be that important to them. I want to have the time to follow blogs, keep abreast of issues in the world, learn from others, have video conferences, and develop as a teacher. Where is the time in the day for that? I just found out what the acronym for Science and Technology and Math is - STEM. And I am supposed to be teaching in a Science and Technology school.

I remember a time, not too long ago, when I had less paperwork and more time to do it in. Maybe I need to work smarter. I just feel that the day/week/year is not enough for me to be me anymore.

That said, I did score 2 pairs of brand new driving mocs for $23. Yes, that's a deal. I had to travel out of my usual shopping habits to do it. I hope these will fill the bill for new casual shoes to wear with khakis and jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment